Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Today we visited a Primary School in the morning and I just can't help but think that all the little kids in their uniforms are just about the most adorable sight one could ever see. They are very well behaved (although I think that it unfortunately has something to do with a practice they employ here called "caning") and interested in what we have to tell them. As they were younger, Max had to do a lot of the speaking in Setswana, but I tried to read them a story about an elephant riding a skateboard. I used a lot of hand motions, and they appeared interested, so hopefully they were. Then we had tea, which is a tradition in Botswana I am really getting used to. I'm going to come back to the states and be demanding tea times at work!

I also started to have the littler kids color some pictures from a Botswana coloring book that I made copies of. I'm hoping I can get a bunch together and put up a little "Children Celebrate Cultural Month Display." July is cultural appreciation month, so we had a display right now of traditional foods and baskets.

Rachel and I also created a display about the US for the 4th of July! I don't think anyone has checked a book out yet, though:( We made a sign that says "Learn about Rachel and Ashley's Home Country!" Drawing a hamburger on our display made me very very hungry and really miss an American barbecue, though!

1 comment:

  1. Tea time--yes, Precious Ramotswe enjoys tea also in the Number One Ladies Detective Agency stories.

    ReplyDelete