Monday, July 26, 2010

Day with Ethelene

Today our professor from the UW came - Ethelene! She and Angelina first came to our house to meet and visit with the Kgosi and MmaKgosi. The Kgosi got to air some grievances regarding the expectations of the host families in regards to food and housing and the monetary support (or lack of) that they receive from the program, and the general lack of explanation and understanding that they had concerning us. Fair enough, everyone is learning.

Then we took them to the library, where they got to meet Max, some of the other staff members, and a quick overview of what we've been working on the past 8 weeks. Then we went to the new library, which is always quite impressive - if only they could speed the process of moving in!

We went back to Gaborone with them and had lunch with Ethelene. It was great to hear some of the news going on around Madison and SLIS. Unfortunately, it seems like Ethelene is going to be tied up during the middle of the week with other responsibilities, so we will only see her one more time on Friday.

Over the weekend I caught a bit of a head cold, so that hasn't been fun. But, we did finally go grocery shopping with Malebogo and stocked up the groceries for the family. Rachel and Cara had bought me some airtime for my birthday, so I was able to call my parents and speak with them for about 10 minutes, which was very nice. It's so comforting to hear their voices! Also, today I was at the library when the mail came and I received a card from my parents and a package from one of my aunts and cousins. It's so exciting to get mail here! It's miraculous every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment