Friday, July 9, 2010

Today was a super long day! Our trip to Kanye for the Sesigo Launch was really great, even though it was a two hour long ceremony in the cold, in Setswana! There was a choir, and seeing song and dance always makes me happy. Also, Btv was there filming, so I'm thinking we might make the news tonight! Everyone there was really excited and so thankful for the project. The choir even sang a song in English saying how thankful they were for the Internet and Bill and Melinda Gates. We also stopped and toured the libraries in Thamaga and Moshupa. They both have benefited from the Sesigo Project, and sure enough the people we saw in the library appeared to be enjoying the Internet greatly. I wish Moleps had it, but there probably waiting until the new building is ready. Someone at the event today told Max that it wouldn't be finished until December! Yikes, that's too far away!

Our WordWorks club came today, but there were several people that had already been this week, so we had to come up with an activity on the fly. We had them write a composition like before but on their family instead of themselves. It was a group of all girls today, and we ended up walking home with them. They were chatting with us the whole way in English! I asked them how they can be so chatty with us then, but during class they are silent! I think they are freaked out because it is a "class," but hopefully they will get more comfortable as time goes on, especially now that they've talked with us outside the library. They told me my skirt was too high, and insisted on touching both Rachel and I's hair. They also remembered from my composition that I liked to dance, even though I'm not good at it, so they had me dance a bit which was pretty embarrassing.

Tomorrow Cara is coming and we're gonna try to find this ancient aloe forest that we've been hearing about. Supposedly, back in the day, a group was coming to attack the Batswana but saw the aloe trees from afar, thought they were a huge army, and retreated!

After today I am very, very ready for the weekend. Max is picking us up on Sunday for the World Cup finale, yay!

1 comment:

  1. Good storytelling!
    I wish i could have been there for your African dance initiation!
    -Rob

    ReplyDelete