Monday, July 12, 2010

So much dust here! Have I mentioned that there is nothing but dust here? Dust gets everywhere - every time I hand wash my clothes nothing but sand comes out in the water. My nose is constantly inflamed and red from all the particles, it's crazy. For a water lover, this sure is difficult.

Also, did I mention that next weekend we're staying a night in a hotel to treat ourselves, and to celebrate my birthday on the 20th? We are! I am already very excited and it's only Monday! Unfortunately, there is no pool, so it's beginning to look like I may go this summer without a swim, very sad. It's really freaking me out that it's July, but also winter and cold and windy.

Today was exhausting! The WordWorks Club can be draining, even though it's only an hour. It's hard to tell what the kids are really learning or getting out of our lessons, and it's hard to collaborate with the other staff members about the club. During the day when we are working they don't really talk to us about it, but then they show up and watch the class, participating only when they have a criticism about something we or one of the students is doing. I really wish that Max could have forced collaboration between us in the beginning, instead of leaving Rachel and I to do it alone, because now I'm concerned about the sustainability of the club and the differences in how Rachel and I are doing things and how they staff members may have envisioned and executed the project.

The weekend was good, Cara came and we had a nice time eating and chatting. On Sunday Rachel and I went on a 3 hour walk to what we think was the ancient aloe forest and had a nice picnic. Last night we went to the main house with some 'crisps' and watched the game with the family.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you. Just a quick one to say I'm reading your blog & miss you tons. Couldn't find a hotel w/a pool? Bummer. Your Dad & I still shake our heads in awe that you are there. Much Love! Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. The aloe forest is amazing--we think of aloe as potted plants, but those are tall as people!

    You are really hanging tough. Good job.

    ReplyDelete