Friday, June 25, 2010

Staff meeting!

This morning I attended my first staff meeting. It was all in Setswana, but it was nice to pick out words here and there, and also to watch body language and pick up on the tone of things. It seemed from my perspective to be really good for staff communication and invigoration. Max was mainly briefing them on a conference he had last week at BNLS. They just got a new director a couple of months ago and it seems she has started to flex her muscles and get things moving with the organization.

They are sponsoring a competition between the library branches over collection of overdues, programs held, and teamwork within the library. So, Moleps is getting on the train and trying to work on all those areas. Programming is looking pretty good, as we've the schools coming in next week hopefully, and might be doing programs with one school in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Max has got me working on activities for English language learning. We got some playbooks in the batch of new books from BNLS, so I thought play reading might be a good activity. Also compiling passages from books, news stories, etc for reading comprehension. I've also got a fantasy about me and Rachel acting out little scenes and having the students answer questions about what was said between us.

Max had me try cow liver today at lunch! Yikes, I'm really racking up points on my "crazy foods I've eaten" list.

Yesterday Lobogang gave me a scarf-wrapping lesson, and she's on a mission to get me my very own scarf. I guess she buys them at church? So, I gave her 10 pula to get me one. Yay. She also has an outreach program going on with an organization that takes care of children with mental disabilities and is going to take Rachel and I with her next week.

Tomorrow we're going to Gaborone for the day, which I am very excited about. A fresh-brewed cup of coffee and lunch at restaurant? Yes, please!

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite activies in German class was when out teacher made all this food and had menus in German, etc. We all had to come into the "restaurant" and be seated at a table and order. There were also discussion topics on cards on the table and a bonus word usage sheet.
    See ya,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness there is a new BNLS director. They have been without for more than a year. And before that.... Maybe someone will figure out a better way to do collection management.

    Chicken gizzards and cow's liver (usually calf) are also eaten in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete