Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Breakthrough!

So, yesterday was a great day at the library, mainly because I got the go-ahead from Max to box up some of the terribly old materials and put those in the trailer instead of the new books. It felt SO good to take two sets of old Encyclopedia Britannica from the early 1980's in a box and replace them with some newer, more appealing, kid-friendly reference tools. I can hardly wait to weep through the rest of the collection.

Also, yesterday I had a successful afternoon of childrens programming. I had them start by talking about things that could fly, and looking at different books for birds, planes, etc. Then I taught them all how to make a paper airplane, a useful skill for any kid! After we were done folding and decorating our planes, we took them outside for an eagerly awaiting take-off. It was awesome, beautiful, really to see the barren courtyard filled with screaming children and flying paper airplanes. I got that feeling that I get every once in a while that is: Yes, I love to be a children's librarian.

Then, as if that wasn't great enough, I also got them to sit outside while I read them two stories! I had just grabbed them from the display of new children's books Rachel had made that morning, so I didn't know exactly what they were about, I chose them merely because they featured African children and looked about the right level and length for the children. One of them was called "Brave Rosie" and I didn't realize until I had started the story that it was about a young girl whose mother dies...oops. Fortunately it didn't seem to upset any of the children. The other story was called "Looking After Chickens," about, well, just that - a boy looking after a neighbors chickens. It was good though because when I asked the children if they had any chickens at home, they all said yes!

Then we went back in the library, and they colored and I hung up their paper airplanes on a shelf for a display which seemed to please them. It's hard to keep them quiet, though. I try to explain that although I would love to have them make as much noise as they want, the other library users and staff would not be happy with that. I assure them that in the new library they will have their own room to be noisy in.

After the day I went home to a dinner of chicken gizzards and bread, a first for me. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, and I managed to eat it without much of a reaction. After dinner Rachel and I did go back to our little house and make some plain pasta:)

Today we are finally going to the schools with Max to have a meeting about the homework clubs that Max is trying to get going. Hopefully it won't be ALL in Setswana, and I can get some words in. It would be nice to arrange a date that I could come in and talk to the classes about the library and read a story or something.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like things are picking up. I love envisioning the children and the paper airplanes.

    ReplyDelete