Monday, June 28, 2010

Gaborone-Molepolole Bus Ride and Village Reading Room!

Well, we had a very pleasant Saturday in Gaborone. We had perfect timing catching the bus at 7 am, then a very pleasant ride into the city. I love to ride in vehicles and look out the window. Sometimes I feel I could do it forever.

We enjoyed a fresh-brewed cup of coffee and caught with very Cara- it's really interesting and comforting to hear about how things are going in Mmankgodi. Then we did some shopping- I'm on the look-out for a pair of jeans here, I only brought one pair of pants (what was I thinking?) but I didn't find any:( But, we did find the fancy, expensive, organic food section in Woolworth's - Awesome! It's all too expensive for me, but I'm planning on treating myself around July for my big 2-6.

We also ate a delicious meal at Linga Longa before getting on the bus ride back to Moleps. And it was a good thing I was happily fed and watered, too, as we ended up being crammed onto the bus, standing in the aisle for the whole ride! At one quick stop, a guy got out to go to the bathroom, and while he was mid-stream the bus took off! HA! Hopefully he was able to hitch the rest of the way back to Moleps. Very entertaining.

We were exhausted from standing on a bus going down a bumpy road for an hour, so when we got back we relaxed and then made some dinner before going to sleep- for a long time. Then on Sunday Max came and got us and we went over to his house to watch the England vs. Germany game.

Today, once we got transportation (I still haven't figured out why we need a driver to take us places when Max has a car, but whatever) we went with Max to a meeting he had with a Kgosi in a nearby village about their reading room. See, when the village is too small for a full library, BNLS makes a "reading room" which is a very small collection available to the community there. There is a campaign going on right now called the Sesigo project, funded by Bill and Melinda Gates (I think) that is offering money to different library projects, and Max wanted this village reading room to get in on some of that and establish a larger space so more people could enjoy the resources. Max said that the Kgosi seems into the project, so that's exciting. That took all morning, and then we were dropped off at our house for lunch, so I didn't get to see the kids this afternoon. I feel guilty when I don't see them, but I can't do everything, and eventually I'll be gone anyways:(

Long day, and another one tomorrow!

1 comment: