Monday, June 7, 2010

Flexibility is a Virtue

I am writing to you from Molepolole, my new site placement. Last Friday upon visit to Kopong, we realized that the site was not ideal for my internship and it was decided that I should go with Rachel to Moleps for my internship. We are staying in the chief's compound in a two-bedroom apartment to ourselves! It is very comfortable and safe, as no one is going to dare enter the kgosi (chief's) property without permission. Delinquent men are subject to a public "flogging" by the chief! There are orange trees and they also keep bees there so we will have fresh honey. Awesome.

We went to the Molepolole Library this morning and familiarized ourselves a bit with the collection and materials. We helped check in a box of books sent from BNLS and then had a short meeting with Max about the expectations and goals for our time here. He gave us some of the promotional materials they have been using and an outline of programs to be implemented. Here at Moleps they are eagerly awaiting the construction of a new library building. Right now it is only one room, making it difficult to hold programs because of noise created disturbs the patrons that need the space for quiet study. The new library is almost done and features separate rooms for children (0-11), youth (12-30) and adults. Then programming will be much easier.

Right now they also discourage from taking the children outside because they want them to be using the library inside and engaging in reading or puzzles and quiet activities. I am currently trying to think of ideas for library related programs that can be quietly done inside or persuading the library to allow me to take them outside for programs. They usually come in the afternoon so I did not get to see them today. It should be interesting to see how well I will be able to communicate with them. Max is already visiting primary schools to promote library services so I'm hoping that I will be able to go along and see what is being done.

I was given my Setswana name today from a lady in the library, Naledi, meaning "star." It took her just a couple of seconds before she came up with it.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment